Saturday 14 March 2015

[Book Review] Stardust

0







I have to declare that I have not completed this book and I will let you know the reason soon. I decided to read this book only because I saw the film first otherwise I wouldn't even have come close to this disastrous piece by Neil Gaiman (sorry but you leave me no choice).

The plot is quite simple. Tristan Thorn loves a girl. Promises a fallen star for her hand in marriage. Faces an adventure when he understands that he is not the only one who wants the star. In the journey, falls in love with the star which changes the entire deal. 

The fairy tale, of course seems a beautiful tale but the writing ruined the entire tale turning it into a some kind of horrible plot. When I first started a few pages, I did realise something was seriously wrong (even with grammar). I ignored those and (I am proud to say) I reached halfway through the book feeling that everything will be fine soon but no... no.. It seems to be becoming worse and that's when I drew my mark. That's when I stopped reading it. The film was enjoyable and interesting and that's why I wanted to read this but it's nothing like the film.

I analysed what the hell is wrong with it and I found out. The sentences are too long. When sentences are long, one tends to get bored and sort of feels dragged out of context. We feel alienated from the book as we don't become a part of it. Well that's exactly what happened here. I am not saying that this was the only reason. This is the first time I am writing a review of a book which I have not completed. I have no idea if Neil Gaiman's books are all like this. Anyway, I am not reading anymore of his.

0 comments:

Post a Comment